Friday, July 1, 2011

Research and Product-based research

So many of the programs/products I am accustomed to using as a teacher and instructional coach are products created by individuals, and then tested for their effectiveness. Marzano's best practices and vocabulary process, Stephanie Harvey's Comprehension Toolkit, Lucy Calkins writing lessons, Thinking Maps, etc.

 In my opinion many of the practices demanded in the use of these products in the classroom are good/effective for helping students deepen their thinking.  Not having had much time to read research outside of my job, I have not considered the difference between these 'for-profit' companies who have 'research' and what I suppose I view as 'pure' research.  This also brings up how to translate research into practice.  In my experience teachers are willing to try anything if it's good for their students, and especially so if it's not a lot of extra work for themselves.  So I can see why there is a market for these products.... my only question is when will text book companies begin to incorporate research on how children learn and best teaching practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment