Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wednesday conference

I know it's Thursday morning and I would have preferred to do this last night, but the fabulous presentation at dinner went over (but it was well worth it!) and I was tired.

Summary of Wednesday:


Richard Duschl - "Diagnostic Assessments & Assessment Conversations"
Encouraging 3-part harmony of conceptual, epistemic, and social components are all crucial for creating a community of collaborative thinkers who understand and apply science concepts.
  • Science is a group and social task, not individual task (social)
  • Two most powerful interventions: adaptive instruction (conceptual) and dialogic teaching with student groupings (social)
  • Good teachers are teachers who give good feedback; students should give feedback, too! (can be conceptual, epistemic, and social)
  • Questioning cycle: Making students’ thinking explicit
  • assessments to capture performance, gauge progress: embedded, benchmark, performance 
  • evidence centered design for those creating assessment
o   What are the skills and understandings to be assessed? – domain model
o   What is the evidence that would justify particular inferences about a student? Student model
o   How could that evidence be generated? (task design)
o   How would the evidence be evaluated? (scoring
o   Gitomer & Duschl, NSSE, 2007
o   Developing Learning Performances (IQWST) Joe Krajcik University of Michigan

I was again impressed with my own lack of understanding of the powerful role of allowing students to be in control of data, analysis, and feedback.  This is a level of teaching mastery which I have only personally observed in 2 classrooms and not even at the level discussed today.  What is preventing that level of 
teaching/learning?


Doug Clark, Vanderbilt University
“Digital Games, Simulations, and Science Learning: What Does Research Demonstrate Across NRC Strands of Science Proficiency?”
 Go to sites.google.com/site/nsela2011 to see a list of numerous sites that have FANTASTIC simulations.  Again, it highlighted all that I haven't learned about science education - this time through argument driven inquiry.


No comments:

Post a Comment